Using cabbage leaves on your breasts is a trick that started with European and American women. It does two things, helps with the ouchies and stress from breastfeeding and eases the discomfort from a not-so-comfy bra. Even though there’s no solid proof that cabbage leaves have magic powers, many people like them for their calming and pain-relieving effects, especially when they’re cool and pressed against the breasts.
Here’s how to do it.
- Stick the cabbage in the fridge for an hour to chill. Toss the outer leaves, and keep the cool inner ones.
- Wash those inner leaves really well with cold water to make sure they’re clean and free of any yucky stuff.
- Cut the leaves to fit your breast shape, leaving your nipples out in the open.
- Once they’re the right size, put the leaves on your breasts. Keep them in place with a comfy bra, but make sure your nipples are still hanging out.
- Let the cabbage leaves do their thing for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat until you feel better. If you’re using this to calm down breast swelling while breastfeeding, stop when things start feeling more comfy.
Even though we’re not totally sure why cabbage leaves work, lots of women swear by this natural remedy. Just make sure the leaves are clean and cool. If anything feels off, it’s smart to check with your healthcare pro for advice.